Thursday, December 4, 2008

Season Preview

Folks I'm back for another season of Reading High Basketball. I must say with the amount of changes in the off season as made me even more excited for the new season as I like many of you probably are saying that we really have not much of a clue of how this season will transpire.

When Coach Reyes retired I was taken aback just because as much criticism he had received from a segment of the fan base I didn't envision him not coming back. As the years go on I think for the most part people will look at the Reyes era as an era where we had some great teams (2 district titles) and some teams who had great talent but just underachieved or didn't come through come playoff time. But I would say the Reyes era was definitely one that he left the program in much better shape than when he took over. Also it should be noted that he did instill a level of discipline on the court to many of his teams.

Now when Coach Reyes left I like many of you had hope for a high profile big name coach but has the days went by and hearing the constant talk of Kirk Singleton coming back, I was needless to say underwhelmed and not excited about the proposition. So when I heard of the hiring of Tim Redding I was at least happy that it was a name who had some credentials as he did cut his teeth as an assistant on the college circuit. So I did more research and I went to the archives and pulled out the Albright program from his senior year and on his profile this is what was said of him as a player:

English major with aim toward coaching and sports management. Walk on who has been a member of the JV and Varsity squads at Albright. Outstanding track athlete at Southwestern High School where he was All-County in football and a member of record-setting 32o00 relay team as a junior and senior. Head coach at the time Ken Tyler said of Redding "Tim is an extremely hard worker, and gives us another coach on the floor".

So with that being said I think he has some good traits as being a hard worker and usually players who aren't the most gifted do become excellent coaches. But I think we as a fan base should expect some bumps in the road this year as he grows into being a head coach. But with that being said I still expect this to be a team that wins the county title and competes on the district and state level.

I will have a blog entry after tomorrow's game but will not be able to attend the game on Saturday.

No comments: