Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday Night Rant

While I was waiting for the Harrisburg score to come in, I wanted to take time to get something off my chest. It occurred to me this week after hearing numerous times announcements of sportsmanship and behavior at the start of the game that these announcements are getting longer and longer and now are getting almost as long as Dr. King's war and peace speech. I realize administrators and the powers that be in the PIAA realize this is necessary but I think if you asked 99.9% of fans if this is necessary they would say no and be able to tell you what is acceptable and not acceptable. I really belief that the PIAA has taken some of the fun out of going to high school games and they need to hear from some of us because at times they seem to be a communistic like organization. I went and did some research on the PIAA's sportsmanship policy and what they consider unacceptable behavior. I will go through each category of what PIAA considers unacceptable behavior and state what I think the good parts and bad parts of it are:
  • Yelling, waving arms, or objects during and opponent's free throw attempt: I know when i was a student this rule was not on the books but I know some disagree I think it is a rule that is OK with regards to the waving arms or objects. But not being able to yell while an opponent is shooting a foul shot is an example of how they are trying to take away the fun from all of us. To me as long as your not yelling anything vulgar or derisive there should be no problem with yelling during an opponents foul shot attempt.
  • Disrespectful or derogatory cheers, chants, songs, or gestures: I think this rule is spot on and pretty good. I think the higher up's should take the time and realize at times that kids will be kids and nicely let them know what is unacceptable.
  • Criticizing contest officials in any way: This is one I have a huge problem with. So every player, coach or fan who argues with an official is showing unacceptable behavior. I think what the PIAA should realize is that bad calls happen and are part of the game but it is acceptable for fans and coaches to show their displeasure as long as they are not profane in doing so. I don't see what is wrong with a fan who thinks their team is getting the short end of the stick yelling out to an official that there are two teams on the court or to call them both ways. Also officials should be bigger people than to react to this.
  • Cheers that antagonize an opponent: I think this is something that should be dealt with on a case by case basis. I think in some cases where fans will yell to another team's fan's chants of "Why so quiet" or "We cant hear you" are perfectly fine. But when they get mean spirited like the Lancaster Catholic fans chanting "Food stamps" at the Columbia fans should be dealt with swiftly.
  • Refusing to shake hands or give recognition of good performance: I think there is no place for not shaking hands with an opponent after the game. But in reading in depth the PIAA's sportsmanship section on their website they think you should cheer an opponents great play. I'm sorry your not going to get me to cheer for an opponent making a good play against my team. It's high school sports, not high school musical.
  • Blaming a loss on contest officials, coaches, or participants: This is one that I think is violated way too much and their is no place for doing such.
  • Laughing or name calling to distract an opponent: I really don't see this happen a lot so I think it is fine that it is on the books and don't disagree with it.
  • Use of profanity or displays of anger: I know the PIAA wants everyone to be nice and I don't think fans should use vulgarity in any way. But these men in their stuffed suits in the PIAA office I think should realize that if this rule applies to coaches then 95% of coaches have exhibited unacceptable behavior.
  • Doing own cheers instead of following the lead of cheerleaders: This is another rule that is so asinine and needs to be taken off the books. I think cheerleaders are wonderful people and a huge part of high school athletics. But lets face it they don't lead cheers more than maybe two or three times a quarter. So the other times the fans start a chant where they spell out the letters of their school or nickname are showing unacceptable behavior. Also their our times where a school's cheerleaders are unable to attend for numerous reasons, so the PIAA is saying to us that you cant start a cheer of your own and you will just have to sit on your hands.
  • Wearing extreme of unusual clothing or excessive body paint that detracts from the contest: Another rule that is extraneous and I don't see the point of it. So as I attended the Central Catholic/Holy Name game last night, then all those CC fans who had their chest's painted with letters spelling out Cardinals should have been ejected. If I was a player a nice looking cheerleader would be far more distracting than some student with their face or body painted. This rule is another example of the PIAA trying to legislate the fun out of athletics.

After reading through this list of items my biggest fear is that they are almost expecting fans to go to the game and either sit on their hands or wear a straight jacket. These athletic events are supposed to be fun and my biggest fear is that the PIAA is trying to legislate the fun out of it. I realize that no one in the PIAA will read this but I welcome their feedback as well as my loyal readers feedback.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Tom

I personally feel that students, coaches, fans, referees, and players should be allowed to carry firearms into games.

Sincerely,

Wayne Lapierre
President, National Rifle Association