Thursday, January 24, 2008

Reading 89 Governor Mifflin 43

The Reading Red Knights coasted to an easy 89-43 win tonight at home against the over matched Governor Mifflin Mustangs. Here are my thoughts on the game:

  1. It was great to see Jordan Burdine on the court and in uniform tonight. He never really drove the ball to the whole but he has not lost his jumper as he made four three pointers. I didn't think he would start tonight, but he did and his play didn't skip a beat. When he is on the court it gives the offense so much balance and has to honor all of our shooters.
  2. I loved how we came out strong again and let Mifflin know there was no chance for them in tonight's game. Good job by Coach Reyes in getting our starters some minutes but getting them some rest in the 4th quarter. I know some have wondered why we would play back to back games but it is a good thing to go through and I don't expect it to hamper us in the least.
  3. Jermaine Jackson started tonight and looked to be playing at 75% with a sprained ankle. I know some might want him to rest but having him out their at 75% alters shots on the inside and after Tuesday. He will have a full six days to rest before the county playoffs start. Jermaine only had five points and I didn't think we did a good job of getting him touches in the first quarter.
  4. Joshua Sheriff had another solid effort tonight with 8 points off the bench. It is nice to see a player take advantage of the time he is getting in Marcus Dawkins absence. You've got to wonder if and when Dawkins comes back if he will be behind Sheriff on the depth chart.
  5. Tonight's win clinched a Berks I regular season title and a tie for the #1 seed in the district playoffs. I will have updated rankings later on tonight.
  6. The last thing I wanted to talk about was on the Pennlive board I have seen a number of rival fans complain about us running up the score, playing dirty, or just having an open animosity toward the Reading High program. I really think we should come to the fact as being the biggest school out there were never going to be the most well liked or have verbal bouquets thrown our way when talking about our team. So I really think we need to embrace the image of being the big bully on the block. Kind of the same way the Patriots or the the Oakland Raiders of the 1970's. Just my opinion would love to hear what the rest of the Red Knight nation thinks.

No comments: