Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Reading 53 Academy Park 52

The Red Knights improved to 6-0 after a heartstopping victory against Academy Park in Sharon Hill, PA. Here are my thoughts on the game:
  1. Let me first get to the comments of a few after last night's game. I did not hear Reyes use any vulgarity towards the team at the end of the game but Im not saying in any way that he didnt use any. But I think like numerous other people have said every coach we have ever had has used vulgar language at time to time. But I can understand why he wanted to get the players off the court because you could see Academy Park was really upset about losing on their home court and I dont think Coach Reyes wanted to upset them even more by us celebrating in an over the top manner on their court. I know some might say who cares since they aren't a District 3 school, but I think it still is very possible you could see them in late February or March in the State playoffs. I also think he didnt think it was really right to be celebrating a lot in a game we could have very easily lost.
  2. Im not aware of the having Cook come off the bench situation was a discliplinary measure or just a coaching decision. But I did take notice that when we had the starting lineup which in all likelihood is a four guard lineup spaces the floor out nicely and it also seems to get Jermain Jackson the ball in better spots. I still do value Cook has a very important part of the team and I think you will see him get a lot of minutes.
  3. If you want to have a special season you are going to need games where unexpected guys come up big and that is what we got from Nelson Leon last night.
  4. The best thing to come from this game was that we didnt play our A or even B game and found a way to squeak out a win.
  5. I think a thing to watch for now is that with three days of practice before our next game hopefully we can really get down to work and improve our defense. I thought last night it was better but still not at a great level.
  6. The other thing last night showed is that we could have problems as the year goes on if we become too reliant on the three point shot. Which is why we need the inside post offense to get better.
  7. I know on the stat sheet Jermain Jackson had only 11 points but I thought the last two games his play has improved and it is nice to see that he responded to the crititcism that many including me gave him after the Wilson game.
  8. I will have updated District 3 AAAA power rankings throught last night;s game posted on my blog later tonight.

2 comments:

readknight2003 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
readknight2003 said...

Sry should have fixed the wording.

Good job with this site! I graduated from Reading in 2003 and have been going to games since I was very young. This is one of the best teams they have had in many years. They have not collapsed like they would have in tight games a few years ago. However, I do see resemblance to the 2004 team which had a lot of speed and talent. I strongly believe the talent more than the coach is winning the games like they did in 2004. He's ok, but he loses his temper to much and needs to motivate them more at times then yell. I hope he reads Penn Live or some of the players do. There is def motivation there we can beat Harrisburg. They should use the negative Mid Penn comments as motivation. I think they need to work on interior defense as it collapses at times like you said that is what is leading to easy lap-ups. Also if they practice free throws and three balls more during practice and they can get those numbers up then they will be deadly to anyone inculding Chester. They have the talent inside for sure but they need to hit 40-45% of their 20+ 3's they throw up not 30% and make 75-80% of their free throws our girls are suffering b/c they can't.